[arch-dev-public] [RFC] replace traceroute

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 12 09:43:34 EDT 2012

[2012-06-12 09:31:32 -0400] Stéphane Gaudreault:
> I got this feature request:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28877
>
> As the new traceroute does not seems to depend on anything in iputils, I
> think that it would be better to provide it in a new, independant
> package. I do not see why this should be in [core], so I propose to put
> it into [extra] and install everything under /usr.

Well ping and traceroute are canonical tools to test connectivity; that
makes them quite valuable in [core], to my humble opinion. It is also
helpful to have them bundled in a single package. Are there clear-cut
advantages that the new traceroute would offer over the iputils' one?

Cheers.

--
Gaetan