[arch-dev-public] time to drop openjdk6 ?

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 13 13:32:17 EDT 2012

Oracle has declared JRE/JDK7 the preferred one over JRE/JDK6. So it
should be now stable enough to replace Java6 for everyone also in the
OpenJDK community releases.

I'm asking if there's somebody still in the need to use openjdk6 for
certain apps that fail to run with openjdk7? If so please report it
upstream.

I know there's are still some commercial java apps that will only run
on the Oracle JRE6 or JRE7 but I ask only if somebody prefers openjdk6
in our repos over java7-openjdk.

I'd like to drop openjdk6 when the next security update will be
released if possible.

-Andy