[arch-dev-public] grub/grub2 final

Ronald van Haren pressh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 15:51:25 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:19 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> HI
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2012-06/msg00071.html
> grub2 will hit final status soon, should packages be renamed then?
> Any plan how to handle this.
> Imho we move grub-legacy to aur or at least extra then.
>
> Thanks
> greetings
> tpowa
>
> --
> Tobias Powalowski
> Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer (tpowa)
> http://www.archlinux.org
> tpowa at archlinux.org

I was about to post a similar message...

Anyway, I was planning to drop support of grub1. There has been no
upstream for a long time and all newer features are patched in or
require additional patches. I don't see a need to have it in [extra]
as grub-legacy. No problem uploading it to AUR so people can continue
to use it if they want, although you need i686 to build it so that
could be the only reason to keep it in [extra] for a bit...

I've seen no major breakages in grub2 since beta2 iirc. Upstream
development has been going towards stability in recent betas and I
would consider it stable at the moment: there were no real bug reports
in the bugtracker for the last few months.

I'd like to move 2.00 to [core] via [testing] when it is released,
letting the grub-bios (atm grub2-bios) replace the old grub package.
Adding an install message and a news item is probably a good idea at
the time.

I'll be pushing grub2 rc1 to [testing] in a moment if you want to give
it a try. Final 2.00 release should be in one of the next days.

Cheers,
Ronald