[arch-dev-public] [RFC] merge /bin, /sbin, /lib into /usr/bin and /usr/lib

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 21:28:52 EST 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> /lib:
>
> There are also other things in /lib, I propose that
> we temporarily patch udev, kmod and the few other packages to support
> both /usr/lib and /lib (similarly to how systemd already works) so
> things like udev rules and modprobe files can be moved over one
> package at a time. Once all of this has moved, the last package to be
> updated would be glibc that would move the linker and symlink /lib to
> /usr/lib to maintain compat. We could then remove any transition
> patches from udev++. For e this is sort of a no-brainer, with no real
> risks or downsides.
>
> Thougts?

bin/sbin/libraries, I agree with (besides perhaps shells that have
been hardcoded for eternity, but links/symlinks will solve that).

This bit I've quoted, I see absolutely no reason what so ever to screw
around with. Why on earth do the linker, kernel modules, etc. need to
be in /usr/lib/ at all, other than Poettering's raves and rants? Hell,
if this whole thing is supposed to "make things less confusing" and we
have to move them anyway, then:

* /lib/modules -> /kernel/modules
* /lib/ld-2.15.so -> /linker/x86_64
* /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -> /linker/i386

Of course I'm (probably) joking here. But my point is, moving these
things to /usr is only going to be a pain in the ass, and I see
absolutely no gain whatsoever from the argument your presented for
doing this in the first place.

-Dan