[arch-dev-public] Upgrading gnupg to 2.0 branch, removing gnupg2

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:03:47 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 16.03.2012 10:54, schrieb Ionut Biru:
>> On 03/16/2012 11:18 AM, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
>>> [2012-03-16 10:07:03 +0200] Ionut Biru:

>>> If I google those error messages, I find different answers. Have you
>>> looked at these? It would be a real shame to stick with gnupg-1 only for
>>> this reason. And I thought those cards were supposed to be supported by
>>> GPG devs...
>>>

>> found it.
>> http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/OpenPGP
>> Linux (and Gnome)
>>
>> I had to unset GPG_AGENT. WTF
>
> That sounds like a problem we should try to solve after we make the
> transition, as it sounds like it might be related to having two
> different gnupg implementations that potentially conflict.

I have gpg and gpg2 installed but have been exclusively using gpg2 for
both my card and normal private keys without issue. I'm definitely in
support of dropping gpg1.

However, calling it an "old branch" is a bit of a misnomer, as
upstream just released a version of it in the last month or so. 1.4 vs
2.x have very different architectures and 2.x is much more
componentized.

-Dan