[arch-dev-public] UsrMove

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Mar 27 09:43:09 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

It seems that consensus was reached in the previous thread about
moving /lib/* to /usr/lib/*, so time for some action.

The first step I'd like to do is to allow configuration files that
used to be installed in /lib to be installed in /usr/lib as well (and
default to the latter). This has already been done for mkinitcpio
(thanks Dave!), which now supports and prefers /usr/lib, but will fall
back to /lib so packages that have not been updated continue to work.

We will update udev, kmod and systemd to work in a similar way in
order to prefer /usr/lib/{modprobe.d,depmod.d,udev,systemd} over their
/lib counterparts. This is relatively straight forward, but in the
case of udev it means that packages installing non-rules to /lib/udev
must be rebuilt to move them to /usr/lib/udev. The affected packages
are listed under "udev tools" in

If no-one objects I (possibly with some help from others) will do the
rebuild of the affected packages in one of the coming days and put
them into testing.