[arch-dev-public] [draft] PHP updated to version 5.4.1

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue May 1 07:24:48 EDT 2012

Here is a news draft for the move of the php packages to [extra] which
should happen later this week. Let me know if I miss anything or how I
could improve this news item.

---
PHP has been updated to its latest major release 5.4. The upstream
changelog can be found at http://php.net/ChangeLog-5.php, a detailed
migration guide is at http://de.php.net/migration54.

In addition to this the following packaging changes have been made:
* The Suhosin patch and extension have been removed. Learn more about
the reasoning behind this decision at
https://pierre-schmitz.com/php-5-4-1-in-suhosin-out/
* The json module is now built into PHP itself. Therefor remove the
"extension=json.so" directive from your php.ini file.
* The gd extension has been built with webp support using the libvpx
library.

Make sure to merge the changes of php.ini into your local copy; or
probably easier: adjust the new php.ini to your needs.

Last but not least: especially if you are running old scripts make sure
they do not rely on features like Safe Mode or Magic Quotes. As these
features were removed an update to PHP 5.4 will result in serious
security holes.