[arch-dev-public] Fwd: Re: [arch-general] netcfg status?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed May 9 13:04:03 EDT 2012

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [arch-general] netcfg status?
Datum: Wed, 9 May 2012 16:38:58 +0200
Von: Jouke Witteveen <j.witteveen at gmail.com>
An: Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>
Kopie (CC): arch-general at archlinux.org,  Arch Linux projects development
discussion <arch-projects at archlinux.org>

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 09.05.2012 13:16, schrieb Geert Hendrickx:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the status of netcfg 2.8.x?  When will it hit [core] ?
>>
>> I have been using it succesfully on my workstation and on two VPS
>> (static IPv4 + IPv6 profiles).
>>

>>       Geert
>
> Jouke, should we move it? In general, if you want the package to move to
> core, you need to notify a developer, as you can't move it yourself.

The latest version is in testing for no more than five days now. I
sent a mail regarding the move to core:
http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-projects/2012-April/002765.html
Not much has happened since and I am quite confident in the state of
the code. Some things are a bit hacky still, but it shouldn't be worse
than it has always been. The main issue at the moment is the wiki. I
am not against moving to core by the end of the week. The move should
be paired with an announcement on the frontpage. Currently the best
text I have for this announcement is included below this mail (the
last sentence is new), but suggestions are welcome.

Take care,
- Jouke

---suggested frontpage announcement------
netcfg 2.8.2 release
===

netcfg 2.8.2 has been moved to [core]. It has been six months since
netcfg had an update, so it accumulated quite some changes. Here is a
shortlist.
- Configuration has moved out of 'rc.conf'. Please move your
configuration to '/etc/conf.d/netcfg'.
- Connection types ending in '-old', '-dbus' and '-iproute' are
discontinued. Remove the suffix if you still have it: you didn't need
it.
- Systemd is now supported for single profile, multiple profile,
automatic wired and automatic wireless connections.
- For your basic wifi needs, you can now use the bundled 'wifi-menu'
tool. It is a dialog based connection aid inspired by wifi-select.
- Disconnecting an interface is no longer done through '-i'. The new
parameter is '-D'. Reconnecting an interface is possible through '-R'.
- There is a new connection type: PPPoE.

The full changelog is at
http://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/tree/NEWS?id=2.8.2.

Help is needed to rewrite the wiki!