[arch-dev-public] [RFC] new package: hwids

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun May 20 11:35:57 EDT 2012

Hi guys,

I'd like to propose the addition of a new package, hwids, to [core].

The package would provide /usr/share/hwdata/{pci,usb}.ids and the
upstream would be [0], maintained by Diego Elio Pettenò from Gentoo
and yours truly.

The purpose of this new package is as follows:

 * let the package manager keep the hwids databases up-to-date without
having to update the {usb,pci}utils packages
 * drop update-* scripts from {usb,pci}utils as we don't want programs
writing to /usr (and it would not be needed any longer as I expect to
update the hwids package whenever the files change).
 * let packages where this makes sense, such as udev, depend on hwids
rather than on {usb,pci}utils (which might one day allow us to move
some stuff from [core] to [extra], and certainly out of [base]).

Cheers,

Tom

[0]: https://github.com/Flameeyes/hwids