[arch-dev-public] linux-3.4.0-1 enters [testing]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon May 21 10:54:53 EDT 2012

Am 21.05.2012 16:38, schrieb Ionut Biru:
> On 05/21/2012 04:21 PM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Upstream changes:
>> http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
>>
>> The x86_32 switch is not yet enabled.
>>

> No yet? IMO we don't need this option unless we want to start providing
> an x86_32 port.

I can almost guarantee that there will be a feature request for it soon,
for whatever reason. Provided that it probably only uses a few KB in the
kernel, it won't hurt us.

I see the following use case: Someone will want to do some computations
where the overhead and memory footprint of x86_64 is a problem. It would
then be possible to build an x32 glibc, similar to our multilib
approach, and then compile their applications against it.