[arch-dev-public] libusbx as replacement for libusb

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri May 25 09:18:07 EDT 2012

Am 25.05.2012 14:56, schrieb Tobias Powalowski:
> Hi got this feature request:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29999
>
> - fedora ditched the libusb usage in favour of the libusbx project.
>
> http://www.libusbx.org
>
> Shall we move to this too?

Questions not answered in the bug report:
1) What is an actual issue solved by libusbx that is present in libusb?
(by Allan)
2) Is it a drop-in replacement that is API-compatible or (better)
ABI-compatible.

ad 1) I guess there are such issues, otherwise the libusbx people
wouldn't have been angry enough to make a fork. This point requires
research.

ad 2) If it is ABI-compatible, there is no harm in switching right now,
as libusbx = libusb-1 + active development + more bugfixes. If it is
only API-compatible or partially incompatible, we would need a strong
reason to actually switch.