[arch-dev-public] libusbx as replacement for libusb

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri May 25 09:21:40 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Tobias Powalowski
<tobias.powalowski at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi got this feature request:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/29999
>
> - fedora ditched the libusb usage in favour of the libusbx project.

Seems Debian have done/will do the same.

> http://www.libusbx.org
>
> Shall we move to this too?

I am not very familiar with the background story, but from what I can
gather from libusb-devel[0], it seems that the fork was done for a
good reason, has lots of support, and no counterarguments have (as far
as I could find at least) been presented by the libusb maintainer.

To sum up, the main complaints were: libusb was not begin released for
more than two years (it has now finally been released, after the fork
happened), and the maintainer was seen as hostile to new
contributions.

Assuming the impression I got is correct, I would be in favor of switching.

Cheers,

Tom

[0]: <http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/libusb-is-dead-long-live-libusbx-td5651413.html>