[arch-dev-public] Issues with kernel 3.6.4 on some AMD systems

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Nov 2 15:06:03 EDT 2012

Hi all,

turns out there was an issue with Linux 3.6.4 on some AMD systems with
more than 4GB of RAM. 3.6.5 fixed this bug. Unfortunately this was a
little too late for the recent ISO image.

I was wondering what was the best way to handle issues like this. One
of the benefits of monthly releases is that we have more than one image
available which is recent enough to install your system. Instead of
aiming for the perfect, bug free system I would prefer to update the
download page with a "known issues" section and a link to the last two
this way; for example 3.6.5 might fix this issue but as the changelog is
quite long its possible new bugs were introduced at the same time.

In this particular case a simple workaround exists by adding "mem=3G"
to your boot parameters.

PS: Maybe it's worth to post a dedicated news item about this issue; I
assume while not a lot of people seem to be affected most probably got
hit it via regular system updates.

What do you think about this? In general and for this particular
problem.

Greetings,

Pierre