[arch-dev-public] Clarity about initscripts and systemd status

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Nov 3 12:16:20 EDT 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> * Publish an announcement with the said dates and a link to a migration
> guide
> * Support for initscripts can be dropped e.g. end of December. After
> that packages may drop support; but not before.
> * rc.d scripts and other related files should be removed by end of
> January. This makes it easier for third party repos to provide a package
> containing all the rc scripts. Similar to what we had before systemd got
> officially supported.
> What do you think?

I agree that we should make an announcement. My suggestion would be
something along these lines:

"As systemd is now the default init system, Arch Linux is receiving
minimal testing on sysvinit/initscripts systems. Due to a lack of
resources and interest, sysvinit/initscripts-specific bugs may now be
closed as WONT FIX.

We therefore strongly encourage all users to migrate to systemd as
soon as possible: <link to guide>.

For the time being, sysvinit/initscripts support will remain in the
official repositories, unless otherwise stated. As of January 2013,
sysvinit/initscripts support may be removed from individual packages
without further notice."

As to forcibly removing all the rc scripts by a certain date, I guess
we could get back to that later once we see how things pan out? I'd be
fine with doing it, but don't see the urgency.