[arch-dev-public] mdadm udev + initramfs (WAS: Re: Big changes to LVM2 in testing)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 4 11:07:59 EST 2012

Am 03.11.2012 02:40, schrieb Eric Bélanger:
> If you use both RAID and LVM, make sure that you use the mdadm_udev
> hook instead of the mdadm one. I had to do this change to make my
> system boot with the lvm2 package in [testing].

Okay, we figured this out by now:

The 'mdadm' hook does not only disable the auto-assembly, it lacks any
udev rules in initramfs - this means that udev will not know about file
system type on the RAID contents and LVM auto-assembly fails.

The solution would be to include the udev rules in the mdadm hook as
well, and just disable auto-assembly.

On another note: The mdadm_udev behaviour used to be the default for a
while, but we had a lot of whining about it - none of the affected
people had any interest in figuring out why auto-assembly failed for
them. I'd really like to get rid of the non-udev based mdadm assembly,
so if anyone has an idea why there were problems, feel free to share.

While we're at it, I'd like to fix mdadm's udev rule to use
BUILTIN+="blkid" instead of manually calling blkid.