[arch-dev-public] steam in our repos?

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Thu Nov 15 00:04:43 EST 2012

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 05:56:57AM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just noticed that steam was put into the multilib repo. It's
> unfortunate that such questionable packages are brought into our repos
> without any discussion (similar case are the catalyst drivers).
>
> My concern is it's license here. We modify and redistribute steam here
> which is probably not allowed according to 1.B of steam's license. So
> unless I am wrong here or there is a written permission from Valve
> please remove this package asap.
>
> PS: It would be great if people would send a mail to this list before
> they add random packages; especially if they don't have a free license.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com

I read through the entire license.  It seemed ok to me but as I am not
a lawyer I emailed them to request permission first to redistribute the
package in community/multilib.

Only after contacting 2 people at Valve, both of whom told me that
it would be ok to package and distribute steam, did I move it into the
repositores

--
Daniel Wallace
Archlinux Trusted User (gtmanfred)