[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] Updating iputils over NFS

Stéphane Gaudreault stephane at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 1 08:15:06 EDT 2012

Le 2012-10-01 05:09, Thomas Bächler a écrit :

>>> NFS doesn't support any capibilities, so I guess the output is to be
>>> expected... I'm not sure what to do as a workaround, though.  Does the
>>> package still install and run even though it printed the warning?
>> Hmm; yeah.  Well the package installs, but ping doesn't work for non-root
>> users.  It's not a critical issue, because these are network-booted worker
>> nodes in a cluster, and I doubt ping will be needed directly on the nodes.
>> However, it worries me that other things might be affected at some point if
>> capabilities are increasingly used.  I might put in a bug report and see what
>> the devs think.
> The lack of capability support on NFS is a shame. In general, we should
> probably fall back to setuid-root whenever setcap fails and silence this
> error message.
>
> In my opinion, capabilities should be used much more widely and replace
> setuid-root whereever possible.

I am not sure what is the best way to fall back to suid root. A possible
workaround for the case of installing on a filesystem that does not
support capabilities could be something like :

setcap cap_net_raw=ep usr/bin/ping || chmod +s usr/bin/ping

But I think that we will still get into problems if it is installed on a
filesystems that support capabilities and if this filesystem is exported
on NFS to clients.

Any ideas ?

Stéphane