[arch-dev-public] Switching to systemd by default in new installations

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 7 12:49:46 EDT 2012

Tom and I discussed this on IRC, so I'll just throw it in here.

I'd like to make the following changes to our packages:

* Remove initscripts and sysvinit from the base group.
* Add systemd-sysvcompat to the base group.
* Move initscripts to [extra].

This effectively uses systemd by default on all new installations.

As not all packages are equipped with systemd units yet, a compatibility
layer exists: You can install the initscripts package, which does not
depend on sysvinit any longer (and thus doesn't conflict with
systemd-syscompat). A new initscripts installation will come with an
empty DAEMONS array by default. Once you add rc.d scripts to DAEMONS,
systemd will generate compatibility units for those services, or enable
the systemd unit if a unit with the same name exists.

Please discuss!