[arch-dev-public] [announcement draft] systemd is now the default on new installations

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 13 04:50:15 EDT 2012

Final version, including Tom's additions:

"The base group now contains the systemd-sysvcompat package. This means
that all new installations will boot with systemd by default.

As some packages still lack native systemd units, users can install the
initscripts package and use the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf to start
services
using the legacy rc.d scripts.

This change does not affect existing installations. For the time being,
the initscripts and sysvinit packages remain available from our
repositories.

However, individual packages may now start relying on the system being
booted with systemd.

Please refer to the wiki for how to transition an existing
installation to systemd."

Am 13.10.2012 06:53, schrieb Allan McRae:
> Fine with me...   I am also in favour of pulling this to [core] asap as
> currently doing "testing-i686-pkg -c" gives:
>
> error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
> :: systemd-sysvcompat and sysvinit are in conflict

Well then, we need signoffs for systemd and sysvinit. I can move this as
soon as signoffs are there.