[arch-dev-public] consolekit dependencies?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Oct 13 10:34:04 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Most (all?) of our login manager still depend on consolekit. However,
> since consolekit support will be stripped from polkit when
> gnome-unstable goes to testing (soon?), registering consolekit sessions
> on login has no effect whatsoever.
>
> Should we rebuild our login managers to remove the consolekit dependencies?
>
> I rebuilt kdebase-workspace locally yesterday, and polkit seems to work
> just fine. kde itself does not use consolekit, except through polkit.

Doing this makes sense to me. However, to make things clear-cut, it
would be best if we could entirely remove consolekit from our repos
and put up an announcement. That way people will not be confused as to
why things stop working if they are not using logind.

In addition to the gnome+kde packages the relevant packages we would
have to make sure still work without consolekit are:

lxdm
oblogout
slim
udiskie (optional)