[arch-dev-public] WARNING: changes to screen in testing

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Oct 22 14:13:22 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 08:00:18PM +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> When you run with systemd's default tmpfiles configuration and you use
> screen, your screen sockets are deleted after 10 days. This is bad and
> caused me some trouble.
>
> I changed screen in testing to use /run/screens instead, which won't be
> cleared by tmpfiles - and it is the correct place for this stuff anyway.

Bleh, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR would a be a better place, but sadly this isn't
going to exist for some population of users.

> However, when upgrading the screen package, your existing screens will
> become unaccessible. How should we handle this?

Surely there's a way to tell screen to look in a different place for
sockets. Figure out the command to do so and advertise it in a
post_upgrade message as a crutch until the user can restart their screen
sessions.