[arch-dev-public] Unannounced mass edit of community PKGBUILDs

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 09:32:25 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> When it comes to double vs single quoting, can we change
> PKGBUILD.proto to use single quotes? The character '$' only occurs in
> the package description in 3 of the community packages, and those 3
> can still use double quotes.

The main repos have 2815 occurrences using double quotes, 409 using
single quotes. So sounds like we should unify on using double quotes.

I think you also missed this case, given that the single quote ' is
used quite regularly in the English language:

dmcgee at galway ~/projects/arch-repos
$ LANG=C grep "pkgdesc=\".*'" */trunk/PKGBUILD
achessclock/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Angus' Chess Clock"
bootchart/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A 'startup' graphing tool"
cdargs/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A replacement for 'cd' that includes
bookmarks/browsing for faster navigation"
clawsker/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="An applet to edit Claws Mail's hidden
preferences."
claws-mail-themes/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Claws Mail's themes"
cvsps/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Generating 'patchset' information from a
CVS repository"
djvulibre/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Suite to create, manipulate and view
DjVu ('déjà vu') documents"
emovix/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Create Movix-CD's (also emovix plugin for k3b)"
foomatic-db-hpijs/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Foomatic is a system for
using free software printer drivers with common spoolers on Unix -
Foomatic data for the HP's HPIJS printer drivers"
foomatic/trunk/PKGBUILD: pkgdesc="Foomatic - Filter scripts used by
the printer spoolers to convert the incoming PostScript data into the
printer's native format."
foomatic/trunk/PKGBUILD: pkgdesc="Foomatic - Foomatic's database
engine generates PPD files from the data in Foomatic's XML database.
It also contains scripts to directly generate print queues and handle
jobs."
fprint_demo/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Simple GTK+ application to
demonstrate and test libfprint's capabilities"
gimp-dbp/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="David's batch processor for the GIMP"
go-openoffice/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="OpenOffice.org - go-oo.org
enhanced version of SUN's office suite"
grml-zsh-config/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="grml's zsh setup"
gtklife/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="GtkLife is a fast, featureful,
open-source Conway's Life program for *nix"
gtkpod/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A platform independent GUI for Apple's
iPod using GTK3"
hmmer/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Profile hidden Markov models (profile
HMMs) can be used to do sensitive database searching using statistical
descriptions of a sequence family's consensus"
host/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Lightweight alternative to bind's host."
iwlwifi-1000-ucode/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Intel wireless firmware for
Intel's WiFi Link 1000BGN wireless devices"
iwlwifi-5000-ucode/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Intel wireless firmware for
Intel's 5100BG, 5100ABG, 5100AGN, 5300AGN and 5350AGN wireless
devices"
iwlwifi-6000-ucode/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Intel wireless firmware for
Intel's 6000 Series wireless devices"
jade/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="James Clark's DSSSL Engine"
jdk/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Sun's Java Development Kit"
jre/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Sun's java runtime environment"
kernel26mm/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="The Linux Kernel and modules,
Andrew Morton's -mm tree"
kiosktool/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A Point&Click tool for system
administrators to enable KDE's KIOSK features or otherwise
preconfigure KDE for groups of users"
kobodeluxe/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="An enhanced version of Akira
Higuchi's game XKobo, an addictive space shoot'em up"
ladspa/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin
API (LADSPA)"
lesstif/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="LGPL'd re-implementation of Motif"
libdjvu/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Library to process DjVu ('déjà vu') documents"
libidl2/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A front-end for CORBA 2.2 IDL and
Netscape's XPIDL"
libifp/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="General-purpose library-driver for
iRiver's iFP portable audio players"
libmsn/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A reusable, open-source, fully
documented library for connecting to Microsoft's MSN"
libnice/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="An implementation of the IETF's draft
ICE (for p2p UDP data streams)"
libplist/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A library to handle Apple Property
List format whereas it's binary or XML"
libwmf/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A library for reading vector images in
Microsoft's native Windows Metafile Format (WMF)"
libxfixes/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="X11 miscellaneous 'fixes' extension library"
libytnef/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Yerase's TNEF Stream Reader library
(decode winmail.dat)"
libzrtpcpp/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A C++ implementation of Phil
Zimmermann's ZRTP specification"
libzvt/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Zed's virtual terminal library"
mcpp/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Matsui's CPP implementation precisely
conformed to standards"
most/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A terminal pager similar to 'more' and 'less'"
nant/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A free .NET build tool, like make but
without make's problems"
nxclient/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Nomachine's closed source client for
NX servers"
penguin-command/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="This is a clone of the classic
'Missile Command' Game"
perl-crypt-openssl-bignum/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="OpenSSL's
multiprecision integer arithmetic "
perl-lmap-cid2spf/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Convert between the two LMAP
formats Microsoft's CID and SPF"
perl-mozilla-ca/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Mozilla's CA cert bundle in PEM format"
python-logilab-astng/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Extend python's abstract
syntax tree"
qscintilla/trunk/PKGBUILD:    pkgdesc="A port to Qt4 of Neil Hodgson's
Scintilla C++ editor class"
refind-efi/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Rod Smith's fork of rEFIt UEFI Boot Manager"
rp-pppoe/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Roaring Penguin's Point-to-Point
Protocol over Ethernet client"
samba/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Tools to access a server's filespace and
printers via SMB"
samba/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Tools to access a server's filespace and
printers via SMB"
schedtool/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Query or alter a process' scheduling policy"
swh-plugins/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Steve Harris' LADSPA plug-ins suite"
taglib-sharp/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="It's a library for reading and
writing metadata in media files, including video, audio, and photo
formats for Mono"
texlive-formatsextra/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="TeX Live - collection of
extra TeX 'formats'"
time/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Utility for monitoring a program's use of
system resources"
toppler/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Tower Toppler (aka Nebulous) is the
reimplementation of an old 'jump and run' game"
tuxmath/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="'Tux of Math Command' is an
educational math tutorial game for elementary school level children"
vcdimager/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A full-featured mastering suite for
authoring disassembling and analyzing Video CD's and Super Video CD's"
vectoroids/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Vectoroids is based on the X-Window
PDA game 'Agendaroids,'"
webrtc-audio-processing/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="AudioProcessing
library based on Google's implementation of WebRTC"
whois/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="The whois client by Marco d'Itri"
xcb-util-image/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Utility libraries for XC
Binding - Port of Xlib's XImage and XShmImage functions"
xorg-xgamma/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="Alter a monitor's gamma correction"
zeitgeist/trunk/PKGBUILD:pkgdesc="A service which logs the users's
activities and events and makes relevant information available to
other applications"