[arch-dev-public] Adding nss-myhostname to the base group

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Oct 27 05:19:34 EDT 2012

Am 27.10.2012 11:11, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
>> I think this might be because the order in nsswitch.conf is wrong.
>> Please retest with this line:
>> hosts: files myhostname dns
>>
> Yup in that case works, I suspected that something goes from this place.
>
> The good question is: should be changed to this order by default?...

What _should_ happen is this: When your network goes down, you get a "no
route to host" from DNS rather quickly and thus DNS fails quickly.

Our default is a sane one: "It is recommended to put myhostname last in
the nsswitch.conf line to make sure that this mapping is only used as
fallback, and any DNS or /etc/hosts based mapping takes precedence."