[arch-dev-public] Moving CK-removal + GNOME 3.6? Announcement draft.

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Oct 29 14:33:36 EDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 29.10.2012 10:31, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
>> On Oct 29, 2012 9:16 AM, "Thomas Bächler" <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can we move this stuff please? Here's a draft for a short announcement.
>>>
>>> "GNOME, networkmanager and polkit now require systemd
>>>
>>> GNOME 3.6 has been moved to extra, along with new polkit and
>>> networkmanager. At the same time, consolekit support has been removed
>>> from polkit and networkmanager. This means that everyone who uses GNOME
>>> or networkmanager or relies on polkit needs to boot with systemd. To
>>> save some ressources, you should also remove consolekit from your
>> systems."
>>>
>>> Hm, I'm not satisfied, many people don't know if and why they use
>>> polkit. Anyway, it's a draft.
>>
>> How about focusing on CK removal? Say that console kit had been removed
>> from the repositories and that anything that depended on it, now requires
>> you to boot with systemd instead. Then add what you wrote and any other
>> specific examples.
>
> But isn't it true that GNOME won't work at all without systemd, while
> KDE and others still work, just with reduced functionality?

We should make it clear that anything that was in our CK removal TODO
will now stop working without systemd, not only GNOME+NM+polkit.

What about:

"ConsoleKit replaced by logind

With GNOME 3.6, polkit and networkmanager moving to extra, ConsoleKit
has now been removed from the repositories. Any package that
previously depended on it now relies on systemd-logind instead. That
means that the system must be booted with systemd to be fully
functional.

In addition to GNOME, both KDE and XFCE are also affected by this change."

?

-t