[arch-dev-public] fontconfig 2.10.1 will require user interaction

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 6 13:31:13 EDT 2012

On 6 September 2012 23:57, Daniel Wallace <danielwallace at gtmanfred.com> wrote:
> can the news article bechanged to say -Syu instead of now where it says
> -Sy fontconfig which we have always said was frowned upon if I remember
> correctly.
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=802661#p802661

You don't want to pull in extra burden when there's intervention for
just one package. More can go wrong. So it's a case-by-case sort of
thing. The warning to always -Syu is something general, mostly for
people that don't know what they're doing.

An update can involve a number of packages, so if you simply -Sy pkg
there is a chance to break things. This does not apply to independent
package updates and cases such as the one we have here today.

So, do -Syu, unless otherwise stated. There will always be special
cases, there is no one solution.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1