[arch-dev-public] rootprefix change for kmod 10

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Sep 7 04:17:06 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 06.09.2012 21:30, schrieb Dave Reisner:
>> P.S. I'd also like to see us stop shipping compressed modules, but that's
>> another matter all together.
>
> Why? The linux package is huge as it is, and compressing modules
> decreases its installed size by 100MB IIRC.

I looked into this in the past and intended to suggest the same . If I
remember correctly the installed size savings is 80MB, but if you use
filesystem level compression the savings is only between 10MB and 40MB
(hopefully a future btrfs release will allow us to get numbers with
better precision). Also, the package size becomes smaller if the
modules are not compressed separately, but I forgot exactly by how
much.

-t