[arch-dev-public] [testing] util-linux heads-up

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 14:20:12 EDT 2012

On 9 September 2012 15:17, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 10:09:45AM +0200, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
>> Am 08.09.2012 15:33, schrieb Dave Reisner:
>> > A few remaining bugs in testing/util-linux at the moment:
>> >
>> > - shadow needs to be a dep
>> > - uuidd user's home is wrong
>> >
>> > These will be fixed in a -4 I'm rolling up. Note that testing users who
>> > have uuidd's home in /home/uuidd will want to fix this by simply
>> > running:
>> >
>> >   usermod -d / uuidd
>> >
>> > One last bug about hwclock [1] is still outstanding, but I'm not able to
>> > reproduce it. I'm still unconvinced of whether it's a legit bug in
>> > hwclock or just something we need to fix in initscripts, but I've
>> > forwarded the bug onto the util-linux ML to see if I can get input from
>> > elsewhere.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Dave
>> >
>> > [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31416
>> >
>> Shouldn't uuidd user have the same uid/gid on all systems?
>>
>> greetings
>> tpowa
>>

> Not really important. It's used for creating /run/uuidd and running the
> daemon. Whether this is picked by the system or some curated number that
> we pick makes little difference -- we won't be shipping around files
> that are owned by this user.

In my opinion the fixed uid/gid would be better for the consistency
sake (ie. it's done with others too), but I don't believe this alone
justifies rebuilding package with just this fix.

BTW: the FS#31416 got somehow fixed by enabling hwclock daemon for one
boot (see comment at the bug report). I think util-linux -4 is
good-to-go after the rc.sysinig is fixed for the new hwclock
behaviour.

Have a nice day,
Lukas