[arch-dev-public] Future mesa-9.0 and related packages

Laurent Carlier lordheavym at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:00:32 EDT 2012

Mesa 9.0 will be soon available.

I manage for some month a repo with mesa built from git, in a splitted way
like our extra packages (1). Package sources are of course available (2) and
are changing regularly because of a move from a static built system to an
autotools driven built system. This move drives me to apply some "workaround"
to avoid liking breakage because of the way our splitting packages are
working; i prefer that way to do instead of patching the Makefiles. I'm
currently applying similar workaround with gambas3 packages, with much
success, and it avoid the maintainance of patches.

My packages are providing more or less experimental features like r600-llvm-
compiler (that should be disabled) or vdpau (afaik only working for mpeg1/2).

A new gfx driver is also available, for Southern Island class AMD GPU
(radeonsi). The related ddx driver, xf86-video-ati will provide 2D accelerated
draw and the glamor library (using shaders to accelerate drawing). I've tried
glamor with my card (HD6870), there is some graphics glitches and limitations
(you can't play at least flash video fullscreen) but it seem pretty stable and
can be easily disabled at run time (it's disabled by default).

libglu (GLU) is missing from mesa and is now maintain as a separate project.
So to build libglu you need libgl/gl.h as a dependencies. I've not found an
easy way to integrate libglu like in mesa-8.* releases. Keeping libglu as a
dependency of mesa avoid the breakage of all our packages depending on it.
In a second time, it could give us the opportunity to simplify the
dependencies from packages that are depending on libgl and libglu (no need to
keep mesa as depends, only as makedepends).

Perhaps i'm forgetting other things.
Comments ?

(1) http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git
(2) http://pkgbuild.com/~lcarlier/mesa-git/sources