[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Python 3.3.0 and PEP 394

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Thu Sep 13 07:44:52 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Stéphane Gaudreault
<stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Any opinions ?

I think this PEP give convention between distro and python developers
to have portable scripts.
Our part is to provide python2* and python3* symlinks. The dev parts
is to use correct sheebang is there scripts (or better, let installer
define it).

The main message in this PEP to developper is DO_NOT_USE python it can
refer to python 2.x or python 3.x. We can thanks this PEP to
legitimate what archlinux is doing (promoting the future of python).

Let user choose if his python is symlinked to python2 or python3 will
not fix a day to day use of python2 and python3 scripts which doesn't
respect this PEP and increase the current mess.

About packages we fix by a sexy sed line, we can stay to our official
/usr/bin/python interpreter as we do for each packages.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net