[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Python 3.3.0 and PEP 394

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 13 16:03:27 EDT 2012

On 14 September 2012 02:18, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> We also have python libraries not prefixed by python- (e.g: pyalpm,
> pycups, pygtk, etc), I think we should also update with
> pkgbase=pygtk
> pkgname=(python-gtk python2-gtk)

That breaks common knowledge and conventional project names. This
happened with pyqt:

python2-qt
python-qt

Those look absolutely nothing like 'PyQt', which is the project name.
We worked around this for a while using 'PyQt:' in the description so
that it'd come up in searches for 'pyqt'. You could also provide for
it in both, but that would still be a workaround.

Andrea has since repackaged them as 'python2-pyqt' and simply 'pyqt',
which looks, sounds and feels much better.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1