[arch-dev-public] devtools will require running systemd

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 13:37:33 EDT 2012

On 15 September 2012 19:26, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on using systemd's nspawn instead of plain chroot. I was
> wondering if any DEV or TU does not run systemd on his build system and
> is also not able to switch to it yet (e.g. as not all daemons have been
> ported yet).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.com

I'm not using systemd and I don't want to switch to systemd on my
development machine any time soon. Is there some significant gain in
using nspawn instead of chroot? I see nothing wrong about chroot.

The most significant change I can see is that nspawn limits access to
/sys etc. to be read-only. However, I don't think RW access is a real
show stopper, as the chroots are used only for building.

If there's anything I can do (such as fixing bugs specific to chroot)
to put back the move to systemd I'll try to do it.

Have a nice day,
Lukas