[arch-dev-public] [RFC] The path to lua 5.2

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 18 22:01:47 EDT 2012

On 19/09/12 07:54, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
>> <stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:

>>> Before looking at the package names, I would like  to see the list of
>>> packages that are not compatible (no patch available). For packages in this
>>> list, it could be interesting to look if upstream devs are still active and
>>> if they have plans to move to 5.2. If not, we could simply drop them or
>>> rebuild them without lua support when possible.
>>
>> I started to build a list for lua library which are compatible to lua5.2:
>> - luaposix
>> - luabitop
>> - lua-zlib
>> - luaexpat
>> - luajit
>> - luasql (luasql-mysql)
>>
>> Otherwise:
>> - luabind (no yet)
>> - lualogging (no yet)
>> - luakit (no yet)
>> - luafilesystem [1]
>> - luasocket [2]
>> - luasec (no yet)
>> - luarocks (in progress [3])
>>
>> It's a bit longer for all packages and I will need help from maintainer.
>>
>> Do you think using the name of the library in filesystem instead of
>> project name is a good idea? e.g: lua-lfs instead of lua-filesystem.

I'd say to always use the project name.

>> [1] https://github.com/keplerproject/luafilesystem/commit/f634765b26c52d03aceed88c2130130ab43f6fa9
>> [2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12040601/is-there-a-lua-socket-library-compatibile-with-lua-5-2-1
>> [3] https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/commit/37aded056fae788088855b36281b1d23b0131fdb
>
> Here is an updated list of packages which need to be bumped. Built
> from 3 search.
> - expac -S %N lua|tr " " "\n"|grep -v ^$
> - pkgfile -isd /usr/lib/lua/|cut -f 2 -d /
> - for i in core extra testing community community-testing ; do sogrep
> $i lua.so; done
>
> http://pastebin.com/3siLkB34
>
> It's about 50 packages.

I think we should provide lua and lua51 packages with as much as
possible built using the lua (5.2) package and the rest built for lua51.
 That may mean we need to provide lua51 versions of libraries too for
the transitional period.

If you create the rebuild list and send me the PKGBUILDs for lua and
lua51 - and anything else in [extra] that immediately needs done - I
will build them for [extra].

Allan