[arch-dev-public] pacman-4.1

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Fri Apr 5 05:36:16 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 05/04/13 07:42, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Pacman-4.1.0 is released and in the [testing] repos.  See my blog [1]
> >> for details of what is new in this release.
> >>
> > With this commit[1], can we assume that install script should now be
> > written in bash?
> >

> > [1]
> >
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/pacman&id=b41b136a374fc85c559e06120b5dc82cd4d5aa28
> >

> What did you think it was written in previously?  We have always used
> bashisms.
>
> Posix shell. Pacman starts /bin/sh, a symlink to bash, which switch it in
posix mode.
Actually, this mode doesn't disallow bashism, it modify some minor
 behaviour of bash.

I also remember when I was a TU padawan, a jedi master, ask me to avoid
bashism in install scripts because /bin/sh can be modified by user to
something else and we should be posix as possible. I never checked that
before but we have currently at minimum 50 install scripts with bashism.

I will be more relax writing my install scripts :)
Thanks for clarification.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net