[arch-dev-public] [arch-general] [pacman-dev] debug package repositories

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:19:02 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 15 April 2013 10:52, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>> In fact, I will provide the needed patches for a separate [debug] and
>>> [community-debug] repo if that is what is decided to happen.
>>
>> You have my full support when it comes to having debug packages in a
>> separate repository.
>>
>> On 15 April 2013 15:00, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>>> Couldn't pacman be fixed to only show debug packages in search results when
>>> you ask for it with a switch? Maybe something similar could be done for
>>> language packages?
>>
>> A simple alias/wrapper using grep on the pacman output would work too ;-)
>
> Yeah, so why make a separate repo? What's the problem with keeping
> debug packages in the normal repos?

Our database files are rather large at this point, and for those that
will never install debug packages, having to download extra stuff
every time we update even one package in the database starts to get a
bit crazy.

Adding PGP signatures to our databases made these files grow quite a
bit; I'd be hesitant to double the size of them again.

-Dan

$ ls -lh /var/lib/pacman/sync/
total 3.8M
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  52K Apr 14 13:17 community-testing.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.9M Apr 15 06:26 community.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 106K Apr 15 05:15 core.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.5M Apr 15 05:09 extra.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.8K Apr 13 14:09 multilib-testing.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 105K Apr 13 18:59 multilib.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 126K Apr 15 06:37 testing.db