[arch-dev-public] The next LTS

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 5 19:30:11 EDT 2013

Am 05.08.2013 21:16, schrieb Rémy Oudompheng:
> Would it be a good idea to switch to 3.2 now until October? Linux 3.2
> is used by Debian 7 and is definitely widely tested by a lot of
> people.

The plan for the LTS kernel is to avoid frequent major upgrades. We've
stayed with 3.0 for about 2 years now. We could have moved to 3.4 a year
ago, but since 3.0 was going to be maintained until fall 2013, we chose
to keep it. We might as well keep 3.10 for another 2 years.

I'd also prefer to use only G-KH's kernels for LTS, and 3.2 is not
maintained by him, but by Debian (not that that's bad in itself).