[arch-dev-public] licensing issues with DB 6.0

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Aug 9 05:31:22 EDT 2013

Hi all,

we just finished the db 6.0 rebuild in staging. I was pointed* to an
issue with it's license though. It seems Oracle switched the license to
AGPL with version 6.0. I am not an expert, but afaik this makes it only
compatible with GPL3 clients and also enforces the AGPL terms on those.

Debian had a similar discussion
https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2013/07/msg00000.html

If you think this is indeed a problem, I suggest to drop the rebuild for
now and keep db-5. We could introduce a db6 package if packages really
need that and are license-compatible. We might also want to try to
disable db-functionality if possible and switch to alternative
implementations.

Greetings,

Pierre

*) https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=65426