[arch-dev-public] Fwd: The Final Cleanup

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Dec 7 08:06:51 EST 2013

Am 06.12.2013 18:20, schrieb Alexander Rødseth:
> * Arch Linux has vanilla packages, so we should try to avoid including
> files that are hand-crafted by packagers

If the files are needed, we include them. It's that simple.

> * It clutters the repository

One or two extra files per package is not a problem.

> * Including .desktop files is basically the same as patching. And this
> quote: "Patching only occurs in extremely rare cases, to prevent
> severe breakage in the instance of version mismatches that may occur
> within a rolling release model." from
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

That is nonsense. A .desktop file is a simple configuration file. We
ship custom default configurations for our packages whenever necessary.

More importantly, we should never compromise functionality for
ideological or political reasons - for me, that is part of Arch's
simplicity.

In short, whenever upstream provides a correct .desktop file, we should
use it. Otherwise, we should provide our own (exactly like we do with
.service files).