[arch-dev-public] libarchive 3.1.1 upgrade

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sun Feb 3 20:31:14 EST 2013

I noticed last week that we're a bit out of date on libarchive, and
started looking into why. There's 3 things that immediately came up:

1) There's a soname bump. The list isn't huge though (15 packages)
2) bsdtar's mtree file generation explodes. This is relevant for pacman
4.1. I've already filed a bug and proposed a patch[1].
3) There's a test suite failure in bsdcpio for lzo extraction. This
turned out to be a missing dep. libarchive now handles lzo via lzo2 so
we'd need to add it to depends. No big deal as lzo2 is already in [core].

Other than this, I've been running 3.1.1 without problems for roughly a
week now (logs say since 1/28) and haven't had any other issues. Mostly
aiming this at Dan and Allan, but once we have an upstream fix for the
legit bug here, is anyone opposed to doing this upgrade/rebuild? I know
we want to release pacman 4.1 soon, and it'd be probably be good not to
have these overlap too much.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/issues/detail?id=301