[arch-dev-public] Drop VI from [core] (was Re: [arch-general] Winter Cleanup of [community])

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 21:41:08 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm late to the party and only have 1 cent to contribute.

Based on my own personal experience, after doing minimal config to get
archlinux booting on my machine, I reboot and install vim to finish
config work. As a result, I will not personally miss vi.

I'm also the current maintainer of vim and as I understand it, vim
would stay in [extra] after the change if we are to move to vim for
the install medium correct?

My opinion on the vi symlink is that we should just patch the packages
which hardcode vi instead of adding the symlink. If it turns out to be
too messy, and there is a general consensus on adding a symlink, I
would be more than happy to oblige.

- Thomas Dziedzic