[arch-dev-public] Toolchain changes

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 22 01:22:04 EST 2013

In my ongoing quest to bring packages to being as vanilla as possible, I
have made some adjustments to the toolchain.  These are nothing that
anybody should notice, but I though it worth a post here.

The changes:

1) /lib and /lib64 symlinks have been moved from glibc to the filesystem
package. Also a /usr/lib64 symlink has been added (see below).

This will make updates more difficult (though not impossible) for those
who do not have the /lib symlink yet.  But if you have not upgraded in
over six months, why do you use a rolling release?   The workaround I
provided of temporarily using a glibc-2.16 package without the lib
symlink is in the process of dying anyway with packages build built with
glibc-2.17.

2) The "pure64" patch has been removed from glibc.  Well, part of it.  I
added a sed to keep the 64bit system library directory as /lib.  Even
though /lib64 is effectively the same, pacman-4.0 can not handle that well.

This changes the ELF interpreter on x86_64 from
/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 to /lib64/ld-....   Again, symlinks make this
not matter.

3) I do not adjust the paths in ldd any more - this required the
/usr/lib64 for it to keep working.  The /lib64 symlink is not enough as
I configure glibc to use /usr/lib as its system library directory.

4) ldconfig gets a symlink in /usr/bin.  This will probably be helpful
in the future when /sbin dies.  Also, I do not remove the default of
ldconfig searching /usr/lib /usr/libx32 /usr/lib64, so "ldconfig -v"
will complain about /usr/lib64 being given more than once as it is
/usr/lib (and any other directory added in ld.so.conf) and about
/usr/libx32 being absent.  I might see if this can be fixed through
adding a configure option upstream, but given no-one will probably
notice it is not worth fixing.

Wouldn't it be great if everything was just ./configure; make; make
install...

tl:dr; things will get more difficult for those who have not updated in
six months, but no-one should notice any other change.

Allan