[arch-dev-public] Steam License

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Thu Jan 31 00:11:19 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 02:58:49PM +0100, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am 30.01.2013 12:50, schrieb Allan McRae:

> >> Maybe you could use 'dialog' [1] in the pre{install,update} message to
> >> display the license and make sure that users accept it before proceeding
> >> to the installation.
> >>
> >> Stéphane
> >>
> >> [1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/dialog/
> >>

> > Yuck!  Anyway, pre_install can not abort a pacman transaction.
> >
> > I remember we used to have a package saying that you had to accept the
> > license found in /usr/share/licence/...   That probably is not enough
> > here though.
> >
> > The easy solution...  Don't put it in the repos.
>
> Please ask Valve what they expect here. It would be fine if it is
> sufficient to just print a message like we do with other packages. Afaik
> the steam client asks you to agree to their license on first launch
> anyway. If they really want an interactive dialog during package
> installation, we should pass.
>
> Otherwise the license looks fine, mostly. Paragraph 1.A is strange. It
> should be possible to install more than one copy per computer (dual
> boot; testing vms). But that should not be a ral problem for us.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://pierre-schmitz.como

After asking about both sections 1.A. and 1. B. 5. I received this from
steams lawyer this evening.

To clarify, we are only meaning to require that the end user sees the EULA after installing the
bootstrap installer and before downloading the main Client from Steam.  We do not mean to
require that the EULA be displayed as part of the replication process.  Ensuring that the EULA
is available for viewing as part of the package is enough.

Regarding your point about multiple installs on a single machine, I think our language is
probably more restrictive than it needs to be.  Multiple installs on a single machine, to
support a multi-user situation or to support multiple instances of an OS on a machine are o.k.
We'll try to address this the next time we revise our EULA.

Any more concerns?
Thanks
--
Daniel Wallace