[arch-dev-public] /usr move - update instructions

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Jun 1 05:55:37 EDT 2013

Am 01.06.2013 08:00, schrieb Allan McRae:
> On 01/06/13 15:51, Allan McRae wrote:
>> New thread for ongoing updates to instructions as issues are noticed:
>>
>> Updates fix:
>>  - post_install scripts can call scripts with /bin/bash shebangs (e.g.
>> mkinitcpio).
>>  - pamcan -Qm sorting is not consistent with that from "sort" in some
>> locales
>>  - autofs and non-mounted partitions
>
> Further update...  mention non-official repos
>

> --- Update Instructions ---
>
> 1) Fix any non-official packages with files in /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin
> to put those files in /usr/bin.  The list of packages that are not in a
> repo that need to be fixed can be generated using:
> $ comm -12 <(pacman -Qqm | sort) <(pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin |
> sort -u)
>
> Also check packages installed from non-official repos using:
> $ paclist <repo> | awk ' { print $1 } ' | pacman -Ql - | grep '
> /s\?bin/\| /usr/sbin/'
>
> 2) Make sure any packages in IgnorePkg or IgnoreGroup do not have files
> in /bin, /sbin, or /usr/sbin.  Fix them if necessary.
>
> 3) If you have files in /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin that are unowned by any
> package, you need to move them.  Find a list using:
> $ find /bin /sbin /usr/sbin -exec pacman -Qo -- {} + >/dev/null
>
> 4) Ensure all partitions are mounted if using autofs.  They may not
> automount when needed later in this update.
>
> 5) Update your system:
> # pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash

We should mention that at this point, the user will not be able to log
in via ssh or virtual console. It is best to have a second terminal open
just in case.

> # pacman -S bash
> # pacman -Su

I think for the final announcement, we should also add a sentence
explaining the conflicts:

"The update merges all binaries into a unified /usr/bin directory. This
step removes a distinction that has been meaningless for Arch systems
and simplifies package maintenance for the development team."

Something like that.