[arch-dev-public] /usr move - update instructions

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jun 1 20:34:43 EDT 2013

On 01/06/13 16:00, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 01/06/13 15:51, Allan McRae wrote:
>> New thread for ongoing updates to instructions as issues are noticed:
>>
>> Updates fix:
>>  - post_install scripts can call scripts with /bin/bash shebangs (e.g.
>> mkinitcpio).
>>  - pamcan -Qm sorting is not consistent with that from "sort" in some
>> locales
>>  - autofs and non-mounted partitions
>
> Further update...  mention non-official repos

Update:
 - Simplify checking of AUR packages
  (I'd like to simplify checking of non-official repo packages if
someone knows one...)

--- Update Instructions ---

1) Fix any non-official packages with files in /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin
to put those files in /usr/bin.  The list of packages that are not in a
repo that need to be fixed can be generated using:
$ pacman -Qo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | pacman -Qm -

Also check packages installed from non-official repos using:
$ paclist <repo> | awk ' { print $1 } ' | pacman -Ql - | \
    grep ' /s\?bin/\| /usr/sbin/'

2) Make sure any packages in IgnorePkg or IgnoreGroup do not have files
in /bin, /sbin, or /usr/sbin.  Fix them if necessary.

3) If you have files in /bin, /sbin or /usr/sbin that are unowned by any
package, you need to move them.  Find a list using:
$ find /bin /sbin /usr/sbin -exec pacman -Qo -- {} + >/dev/null

4) Ensure all partitions are mounted if using autofs.  They may not
automount when needed later in this update.

5) Update your system.
# pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash
# pacman -S bash
# pacman -Su