[arch-dev-public] Junior Devs

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Jun 3 10:55:36 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 04:37:44PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This was brought up a few times, so I'd like some clarification.
>
> What restrictions (apart from the possibility of getting the boot, and
> no read-access to arch-dev) do we put on Junior devs? It used to be
> that they could not push packages, but that is no longer a technical
> limitation. Should we still enforce it? Is there a restriction with
> respect to [core]?

Junior devs do not have access to arch-dev, and they cannot write to
[core]. However, I think these same limitations apply to new devs as
well (at least, they applied to me and others).

> My preference would be to not have any limitation, but that they
> should be instructed to bring things up on ML / IRC when doing stuff
> for the first time to avoid problems.

Some random thoughts:

The only real difference that I can see between a full fledged dev and a
junior is the presence of a mentor. This is probably something we should
provide for all new devs, junior or not -- likely the same person who
proposed their recruitment, similar to how TUs operate.

Of course, I suspect that most people we "hire" wouldn't need such a
mentor -- they're all smart ponies who probably just need a nudge in the
right direction learning to grapple with the mess that is our SVN/repo
setup.

I tend to think I'm in support of getting rid of the "junior dev" title,
but I do think that we should retain some sort of small grace period for
all new devs.