[arch-dev-public] [RFC] Migration to MariaDB

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Mar 4 02:06:17 EST 2013

Am 18.02.2013 19:42, schrieb Bartłomiej Piotrowski:
> To get back to the point… This is how I would see the migration plan:
>
> 1. Synchronize MariaDB and MySQL systemd units.
> 2. Move MariaDB to [extra].
> 3. Rebuild packages depending on mysql/libmysqlclient/mysql-clients
> against its MariaDB counterparts.
> 4. Announce MySQL deprecation.
> 5. After month, drop MySQL to AUR.

I see there is a new TODO list at
https://www.archlinux.org/todo/mariadb-migration/

Was this list generated using sogrep or similar? Also: How is this
supposed to work? Unless we add provides=mariadb etc. to mysql these
rebuilds will make it impossible to keep using mysql for users. If
that's desired we need to announce this change including a migration
guide way before we do the actual rebuilds and not after the fact.

Greetings,

Pierre