[arch-dev-public] [arch-releng] FYI: systemd 198

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Mar 7 20:31:27 EST 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> On 03/07/2013 09:35 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> A new systemd release is out (not yet packaged though), and there are
>> several features which might be of interest to us.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom

>> Hey!
>>
>> Finally, here's 198, with many big changes:
>>
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/systemd-198.tar.xz
>>
>> In detail:
>>

>>         * A number of unit files to ease adoption of systemd in
>>           initrds has been added. This moves some minimal logic from
>>           the various initrd implementations into systemd proper.
>>

> I am excited in particularity for this feature, and how can be used for
> archiso, when mkinitcpio supports this.

This should basically "just work" now, but I'd like to do a bit more
testing before shipping a "systemd" mkinitcpio hook.

> I guess in a future, something similar will be happen to replace
> "shutdown" initramfs script with systemd, right?

I did the minimal work to allow /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-shutdown to
be used instead of our current /shutdown script, so this should work
with v198.

However, I think we want to improve the systemd shutdown logic to make
it a bit more elegant before using it by default:

 * It should be a bit more clever about the order in which it tries to
unmount things.
 * It should avoid printing ugly warnings from shutdown in the real
root when the problems will anyway be solved in the shutdown ramfs.
 * Lastly, we should probably optimize the whole process by giving up
early in the real root and jump into the shutdown ramfs as soon as
possible.

Patches welcome  :-)

Cheers,

Tom