[arch-dev-public] Adding new major version of Ardour

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 20 05:45:32 EDT 2013

Hey all

Ardour 3.x is a distinct branch of the popular free digital audio
workstation, which met its first stable release on March 10, 2013. In
order to respect the lead developer's wish that all users download his
software from his website, [1][2] I had chosen to defer packaging it
for our community for at least 7 days (not that there has been much
demand).

Anyway, ardour3 will just roll in as ardour with a version bump, while
the existing ardour will be relegated to an ardour2 package (they
should be able to co-exist). An upstream-friendly message to donate
will be included. It is not mandatory (software is GPL after all), but
it's just one way of respecting their wishes.

Let me know if there is a problem anywhere. If you think we shouldn't
even be distributing it, let it be known (in which case we only retain
ardour2). I know of no other _binary_ distribution that has packaged
ardour3 already, but I may be wrong. As far as I'm aware, we're a
meta-distribution -- we don't break things.

[1] https://community.ardour.org/node/2543
[2] http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/03/ardour-for-the-rest-of-us-free-daw-gets-plug-ins-midi-more-as-3-0-arrives/#comment-828676938

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1