[arch-dev-public] BIND10? No, thanks.

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Wed Mar 20 09:59:47 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 08:34:46AM -0500, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> > Am 20.03.2013 10:32, schrieb Gaetan Bisson:
> >> [2013-03-20 10:25:33 +0100] Thomas Bächler:
> >>
> >> Alright; you can:
> >> - write a three-line drill wrapper to recreate the output of host;
> >> - adopt dnsutils and have fun with BIND.
> >
> > The first option makes more sense.
>
> host, nslookup, traceroute6- the list of extremely basic sysadmin
> tools Arch doesn't ship in an easily installable fashion is starting
> to get rather long. Does util-linux or such provide implementations of
> the first two that until now we have been disabling?
>
> -Dan

glibc ships getent, which can be used to do DNS lookups (getent hosts
www.google.com). That said, I don't expect people to know this offhand
as an alternative to dig.

I'm kind of wary of not shipping *basic* DNS tools which people expect
to exist. drill is not a drop-in replacement for dig given that it
ignores the +option flags. And no, I don't buy this "I disagree with
upstream so I'm not shipping it" as an excuse to not only avoid BIND10,
but drop BIND entirely.