[arch-dev-public] [announcement draft] MariaDB replaces MySQL in repositories

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 15:10:20 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski <b at bpiotrowski.pl> wrote:
> With `mysql 5.5.30-7` in [extra], all packages depending on it have been
> rebuilt against MariaDB counterparts. MariaDB is
> [almost](https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/) a
> drop-in replacement, but not automatic one. Users may need to manually
> install `mariadb`, `libmariadbclient` or `mariadb-clients` and execute
> `mysql_uprade` in order to migrate their systems. Additionally, there is
> another MySQL fork available in [community], `percona-server`, which
> should be closer to Oracle MySQL Enterprise in exchange for new features
> provided by MariaDB.
>
> More background information can be found on [mailing
> list](https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-February/024478.html).
> MySQL will be dropped from repositories in a month.
>
> Migration example
>     # systemctl stop mysqld
>     # pacman -S mariadb libmariadbclient mariadb-clients
>     # systemctl start mariadb
>     # mysql_upgrade -p
>
> --
> Bartłomiej Piotrowski
> http://bpiotrowski.pl/

MariaDB is now officially our default implementation of MySQL. MariaDB
is [almost](https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/)
a drop in replacement, so an upgrade should be possible with minimum
hassle. However, due to remaining compatibility concerns, an automatic
replace is not done.

It is recommended for all users to upgrade. MySQL will be dropped from
the repositories to the AUR in a month.

Users who want to switch will need to install `mariadb`,
`libmariadbclient` or `mariadb-clients` and execute `mysql_upgrade` in
order to migrate their systems.

Migration example:
    # systemctl stop mysqld
    # pacman -S mariadb libmariadbclient mariadb-clients
    # systemctl start mysqld
    # mysql_upgrade -p

`percona-server` is another MySQL fork available in [community]. It
should be closer to Oracle MySQL Enterprise, but is missing the new
features included in MariaDB.

Together with `mysql 5.5.30-7` in [extra], all packages depending on it
have been rebuilt against their MariaDB counterparts. Other package
maintainers should move their dependencies to the MariaDB packages.

More information can be found on our [mailing
list](https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2013-February/024478.html).