[arch-dev-public] rc.d init files package

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Mar 31 18:05:22 EDT 2013

Am 31.03.2013 16:09, schrieb Ionut Biru:
> Hello,
>
> We (the place where I work) have some customers that run arch as their
> primary os and I would like to create a package that contains rc.d init
> files that were dropped until now.
>
> I know this idea was discussed in the past and a lot of our users liked
> the idea but until now nobody stepped up.
>
> Let me know what you guys want me to support and i'll add it into my
> package.

At this point it is no longer enough to just keep the old rc scripts.
Initscripts need to be maintained and an increasing number of packages
need to be altered to support both init systems. It would be quite some
work and you probably cant put everything into one single package
without affecting other packages.

I'd say you'll need a strong technical reason to do this. ATM I cant
think of any problem that initscripts solved but systemd cant.

Greetings,

Pierre